[CentOS] Calling All FS Fanatics

Tue Oct 3 22:30:39 UTC 2006
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Tue, 2006-10-03 at 17:02 -0500, Steve Bergman wrote:

> Writing journalling filesystems required a lot more effort than going
> out and buying a UPS.
>
> But they were written for a reason.
>
> But... if you are certain of your precautions... I've never seen ext2
> lose a benchmark... ever.

Since your data normally isn't journalled anyway, you probably aren't
any more likely to lose anything with ext2, but you may have to wait
through a long fsck.  The main problem I've had with ext2 wasn't
so much that it needed the fsck to clean it, it was that the stock
setup refused to fix many errors automatically.  If a system was at
all busy when it crashed it would very likely drop you to a root
prompt and make you run fsck manually, answering 'y' to every
prompt (as though I wouldn't want it fixed...).  No fun at all when
the box is miles away.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com