[CentOS] 2TB limit, weird mounting issues on reboot

Thu Oct 5 11:35:31 UTC 2006
Peter Kjellström <cap at nsc.liu.se>

On Thursday 05 October 2006 12:58, chrism at imntv.com wrote:
> John Newbigin wrote:
> > You can not have a DOS partition larger than 2Tb.  parted will create
> > one and tell the kernel about the size which works.... until you
> > reboot and then the partition is 2Tb smaller than it should be because
> > the partition table can not store the MSB of your partition size.
> >
> > The solution is to use LVM or GPT partitions.
>
> Right.
>
> The procedure should look something like this:
>
> /sbin/parted /dev/yourdevice
> (parted) mklabel gpt
> (parted) print
> Disk geometry for /dev/etherd/yourdevice: 0kB - 3001GB
> Disk label type: gpt
> (parted) mkpart primary 0 3001G
> (parted) quit
>
> Now build the filesystem.  I normally use:
>
> mke2fs -j -b 4096 /dev/yourdevice

I'm sure you meant /dev/yourdevice1, assuming that the first gpt paratition of
yourdevice is just appended a "1" like with old style dos partition (I've
only done this with lvm whole disks).

/Peter