[CentOS] Yum, duplicate packages, 4.3->4.4 upgrade.

Mon Oct 9 15:33:16 UTC 2006
Bart Schaefer <barton.schaefer at gmail.com>

On 10/9/06, itayf at nospammail.net <itayf at nospammail.net> wrote:

> I am running a CentOS 4.3 machine.  I wish to move on to 4.4.
> My problem is that I have some 60 duplicate packages listed
> below.

Some of those are supposed to be duplicated.  If you have an x86_64
architecture, you get both the 64-bit and 32-bit versions of some
packages.

See the thread "Yum upgrade to 4.4 problem" in the August 31 - early
September time span in the CentOS list archives at
http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/.

In particular this:

>   prompt> rpm -qa --qf "%{NAME}\n" | sort | uniq -d

is the wrong "rpm" incantation to detect the real duplications on
x86_64.  You need to
include %{ARCH} in there somewhere.