[CentOS] x84_64 distro: Really worth it ?

Mon Oct 9 22:46:20 UTC 2006
chrism at imntv.com <chrism at imntv.com>

Michael Kress wrote:
> Rodrigo Barbosa wrote:
>
>> I have so far avoided using the x86_64 distro, sticking to 32 bits on all
>> my servers.
>>
>> My question for all using the 64bits distro is: is it really worth it ?
>> What kind of applications are you running, and what kind of _real_
>> gain did you have ?
>>
> apache, postfix, mailman on centos-4.4
> data throughput to and from hard disks via 3ware9550SXU-4LP is much
> faster than with the same hardware and a 32 version (about +40 to +50%,
> I tried it).
> It's definitely worth it but it certainly depends on your hardware.

Really?  I find that odd.  I didn't notice any drastic change (though I
didn't do any hard core testing) between 32-bit and 64-bit 4.4 on my
quad-core boxes running the 9550SX.  However, that could be just me.
Apparently, I am just a young Skywalker in terms of tuning these
new-fangled 3Ware cards and dealing with partitions/filesystems/etc.
Without Josh Baker-LePain's kind advice, I'd probably still be wrasslin'
with it.  :)

Cheers,