No answers? Re: [CentOS] autoprobe for nVidia 6200 broken

Tue Oct 10 10:26:33 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-09 at 21:59 -0400, Ted Miller wrote:
> > I have the same problem on the install disks and on the Live CD: The
> > computer locks as soon as the Xserver starts.  I end up with a blank screen
> > (color varies) with a moving mouse cursor.  Nothing else.  Nothing appears
> > on the screen.  Keyboard and mouse are inoperative.  Even Alt-SysRq-R
> > doesn't work.  Only way out is the reset button (or maybe SSH, but I don't
> > have another machine handy to try that from).
> >
> > I am expecting you to blame in on "upstream", but you can't blame the
> > LiveCD on upstream.

Sure we can ... the nv driver is the same on both the Live CD and the
distro. (Same xorg software).  It isn't really blame ... that hardware
is just not on the supported list.  It may be fixed on a future upgrade.

> > With the LiveCD, I can boot OK by using the VESA driver.  The root of the
> > problem seems to lie in the open-source "nv" video driver and my card.  The
> > proprietary "nvidia" driver works fine (once it is installed).

You can probably also use the nvidia option from the live CD as well ...
however I know that does not help you get the distro installed.

> > With the install disks, I am stuck with a text install (and thus locked out
> > of some of the LVM options I need).  I have not found a way to override the
> > autoprobed video driver except to use "noprobe", and I have no idea what
> > drivers I need to install to do the install correctly.

You can do the command lvm from the command line {press alt-F2 to get a
command line (after the Welcome to CentOS and prior to going into disk
druid)} to manually setup your LVM prior to entering the manual disk
druid setup ... then assign things to that setup.

> > Wish list for fixes:
> >
> > 1. Fix (or update) "nv" driver so it works right with all 6200 cards.
> >
> > 2. Fix the autoprobe so it uses the "vesa" driver for my card (Gigabyte
> > GV-NX62158D<P>).
> >
> > 3. Create option "xdriver=" on install disks, like there is on video disks.
> >
> > 4. Create option "noprobe-video" and let me tell install disk to use VESA
> > driver.
> >
> > If I can supply any more information to help diagnosis of this mis-probe, I
> > will gladly poke my system if you give me detailed instructions as to what
> > commands to execute.  Doing it from the LiveCD-4.4 is probably best and
> > most repeatable.
> >
> > Ted Miller
> > Elkhart, IN, USA
>
> Since no one has any feedback, I assume the next step is to file a bug report?
>
> Ted Miller

We are not going to do major changes to the anaconda or xorg packages
that are not initiated from upstream. I am sorry, but that is just how
it is.  They may support that card later, they do not now.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes