[CentOS] (no subject)

Wed Oct 11 14:26:03 UTC 2006
Will McDonald <wmcdonald at gmail.com>

On 11/10/06, Paul Malinowski <paul at fish4.co.uk> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm looking for some package in Centos which will provide en/decoding of
> mime formats. I have over 1000 outlook mails to process, and it would be
> great to script that, but centos 4.4 doesn't have a metamail package and
> I couldn't find anything connected to decoding and encoding of MIME.
>
> Is there any tool in Centos repository ?

In your previous email you stated these messages were .eml files? This
implies your messages were extracted from Outlook EXPRESS rather than
Outlook, this is an important distinction as they store messages
extracted to Explorer (via dragging, for example) in different
formats.

Looking at an .eml file on a test system, they appear to be fairly
straightforward MIME encoded messages and I'd have thought any number
of Perl/Python/whatever libraries would be able to handle extraction
of their attachments.

http://search.cpan.org/search?query=mime&mode=all
http://docs.python.org/lib/module-email.html
http://www.broobles.com/eml2mbox/index.html

Outlook's extracted message format, .msg seems a little more
"special", http://www.fileformat.info/format/outlookmsg/ It contains
multiple streams which would need decoding.

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2004-May/219401.html
http://www.matijs.net/software/msgconv/

It would also appear you can import them into mbox format using Thunderbird.

I seem to remember there are also a couple of libraries and associated
tools for converting dbx/mbx/pst mail stores into mbox.

http://alioth.debian.org/projects/libpst/

Will.