[CentOS] NTP and hardware clock

Wed Oct 11 17:02:57 UTC 2006
mike.redan at bell.ca <mike.redan at bell.ca>

This was partially fixed upstream recently:
https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2006-0393.html

At least the initscripts will sync the hwclock now out of the box.

As for NTPD not starting if it's server is not reachable. Hrm. I haven't
really seen that happen in my setup. And it is quite often that the NTP
server is not reachable at startup. Perhaps it is just a change needed
in ntp.conf?

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: centos-bounces at centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On
Behalf Of Dag Wieers
Sent: October 11, 2006 12:57 PM
To: centos at centos.org
Subject: [CentOS] NTP and hardware clock

Hi,

I had the following problem today. Because of a misconfigured
network switch one system suddenly didn't have any network.

After a reboot (with the network still unavailable) NTPD refused to
start.
Most likely because the initial ntpdate failed to work. I find this
troubling, because when the network was restored, NTPD could have
resumed
working (like I'd expect from a true daemon).

Now, what was more peculiar was that the hardware clock was completely
off. I also had assumed that somehow the hardware clock was kept in
sync,
but now after rebooting without network, the system clock was skewed.

Is there some way to:

 + Make ntpd run, even when no ntp-server could be contacted
 + Make ntpd synchronise the hardware clock automatically

PS Yes, I know I can run ntpdate from cron or run hwclock to synchronize

my hardware clock. But shouldn't this be part of the infrastructure
(either ntpd or the initscripts) ?

Maybe this is useful to have fixed upstream, but I prefer to hear second

opinions before trying to be smart :)

Kind regards,