[CentOS] transfer data from one hard drive to another

Wed Oct 11 18:33:45 UTC 2006
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On Tuesday 10 October 2006 18:41, Will McDonald wrote:
> Yep. I used do this all the time. If the disks have the same geometry
> it's dead simple. I used to use it to build and configure a server
> then duplicate it over another half-dozen or so identical systems.

Just one caveat: make sure to remove the MAC address portion of any ifcfg-ethX
in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts (the HWADDR parameter, I think, is the
right one).  Been there, done that, cloning systems like that.  Did a cluster
of 30 Sun Ultra 30 workstations with Aurora Linux 1.0 a few years back; had
to make sure to remove the MAC address from the master prior to cloning.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology