[CentOS] mbox corruption

Thu Oct 12 00:18:46 UTC 2006
Yiorgos Stamoulis <yiorgos-lists at 272deg.homelinux.net>

John Hinton wrote:
> Running CentOS 4.4, Sendmail...
>
> I've been experiencing some mbox corruption this week. Mail clients
> can't pick up mail and SquirrelMail gives an error.. of which the logs
> state "File isn't in mbox format".
>
> Is anybody else experiencing this? Any ideas about a correction? Cause?
>
> Thanks,
> John Hinton

what I coincidence!

I just finished my Mailbox Recovery Procedure(tm) on a FC3 (installed a
couple of years back, before I discovered Centos ;-) ) with
dovecot-0.99.13-3.FC3.

It is, among other thinks, a small office mail server and I found that
it is easy to rename the offending mailbox, send a test email to force a
new mailbox to be created, and then use webmin's 'read user mail' to
copy whatever messages were to the old mailbox to the new one.

Not very elegant but simple enough, and it works.