[CentOS] HP (compaq) RAID - How to get alerts?

Thu Oct 19 06:59:05 UTC 2006
Will McDonald <wmcdonald at gmail.com>

On 19/10/06, Daryl <mrkiwi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Background: I have HP RAID setups (Smart Array 5, shows up as
> /dev/cciss/c0d0) on my DL380s, and they run great with CentOS. I have
> had a drive failure (HDD lights up amber), so I pulled the HDD, replaced
> it and the RAID controller rebuilt the array in a jiffy - no probs.
>
> My question: I cant find anything in the logs to alert me that a drive
> failed - this makes sense since the RAID is hardware, so i presume i
> need some management software however i cant find anything on HP or
> Compaq's sites to tell me what software i need to be running. I imaging
> it is something like cpq_alert or such.
> |
> Does anyone on the list run HP or Compaq hotswapable kit? How do you get
> alerted to failures?

As the other have pointed out, you want to grab the appropriate PSP
and work from there. Here's a quick note with some docs from the last
time I setup a couple of HP systems...

I've done a bit of reading on the HP specific stuff. They
provide a nice single tarball for each system with all the RPMs for
disk, network, iLO, RAID controllers etc.

That'll allow you to control iLO and RAID configuration from the OS
command line among other things. Obviously you need non-OS access to
the iLO too but for the initial config it's invaluable. :)

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
HP ProLiant DL380 G4, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 (x86)

ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/servers/supportsoftware/linux/psp-7.40.rhel4.linux.en.tar.gz

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/WebDoc/720/psp-users-guide.pdf

>From http://h18004.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/22655.html

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

The ProLiant Support Pack for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 is an
advanced software delivery tool. The ProLiant Support Pack does not
create diskettes. You should copy the Support Pack directly to a
separate folder on your test platform before beginning installation.

I'd recommend having a thorough read through the docs to make sure you
know what you need and that *only* the required services are
enabled/chkonfig-ed on when you're done.

IIRC, there's a load of web interfaced stuff that should either be
disabled or secured (i.e. have default passwords changed etc.)

Will.