[CentOS] Changing kernel params in CentOS 4.2

Thu Oct 19 11:29:50 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-17 at 14:50 -0500, Debbie Tropiano wrote:
> Hello -
>
> One of my users would like a kernel parameter changed.  We're running
> CentOS 4.2 so I'm not sure if we need to upgrade the kernel for this
> change or not.  He's seen that in the 2.6.11.12 kernel "PIPE_SIZE is
> defined in include/linux/pipe_fs_i.h and takes on the value of PAGE_SIZE"
> He wants PIPE_SIZE to be increased to 8*PAGE_SIZE.

> Can this be changed in the 2.6.9 kernel?  If so, where would this be changed?

I am not sure if that file is in 2.6.9 or not, but you can install the
kernel SRPM and do extract (go to the SPECS dir and do rpmbuild -bp
kernel-2.6.spec) you will have a full kernel tree in the BUILD
directory.

> If not, what kernel would be suggested for an upgrade (we have some experience
> with FC3 & the 2.6.11 kernel already)?
>
> Last, in your opinion does changing the kernel rev greatly change the name
> of what you're running?  If we go to say the 2.6.16 kernel on our CentOS 4.2
> system, is it still valid to call it CentOS 4.2?

If you are using it internally, sure.  If you are distributing it ...
not really :)

Keep in mind that the kernel is not on an island and things like GLIBC
are affected by the kernel and it's capabilities.  Also, be aware that
many things are compiled against the kernel headers some items can cause
issues.  These are mostly minimal, however it is possible that some
programs will not function properly, especially things like selinux and
auditing.  Also, certain options are required for the extended ext3
functionality, etc.

Personally, I think that the RedHat guys are very smart wrt to the
kernel and I think the kernel is the most important part of the distro.
So, other than building other modules or changing options in the config
file (like we do with the centosplus kernel), I would normally use (and
recommend) what they produce.

That is not to say that other kernels, properly configured, could not
perform better ... I would just not do it unless it was absolutely the
only option.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes