[CentOS] OT: Problems with Pound Signs and Apache

Fri Oct 20 14:39:16 UTC 2006
Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com>

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006, Andy Wright wrote:

> I have 2 Centos 4 servers running the Horde system, apparently
> identical in configuration, but they are behaving differently...
>
> On one, when emails containing a Pound Sign () are displayed it
> shows as £ (not sure if this will come through right, but it's a
> capital A with a 'hat' accent over it followed by the pound sign).
>
> On the other, the Pound sign displays correctly.
>
> I have copied the httpd.conf files over between servers and this has
> no effect. Looking at the page source both are en-gb and UTF8. It
> looks like the problem is not with Apache as the config files are
> identical.
>
> Both servers are running the same version of Apache, and for that
> matter the same version of everything else, and all updates are
> applied.
>
> Would anyone have any ideas where to start looking to track down
> this discrepancy?

If you have the (oddly named) perl-libwww-perl package installed, use
/usr/bin/HEAD to compare the HTTP Content-Type headers:

  HEAD $url_1 | grep ^Content-Type
  HEAD $url_2 | grep ^Content-Type

As others have indicated, you'll probably notice that the charset
value differs.

I think what I'd do is to start at top of your URL tree (typically
"/") on each server and work my way down to the e-mail in question,
comparing charsets at each stop down the tree. If they start the same
and diverge somewhere down the line, then that's the Directory or
Location to examine.

--
Paul Heinlein <> heinlein at madboa.com <> www.madboa.com