[CentOS] file size limit in apache 2.0 on centos 4

Fri Oct 20 19:04:22 UTC 2006
Brian Mathis <brian.mathis at gmail.com>

On 10/20/06, Brett Serkez <bserkez at gmail.com> wrote:

> > can someone confirm that there is a 4GB limit (or other) in the
> > standard apache 2.0 on CentOS 4?
>
> The file size limitation is in the file system type, ext3 is the
> default on CentOS.  There are other file system types that can be used
> in a partitiion, such as reiser, jfs, xfs, each with their own
> attributes.
>
> Brett

I want to make a clarification here, and I would urge others to do the
same.  In the past few months, in many of my dealings with other Linux
users, the topic of "which filesystem?" has been coming up more and more.
Sure there may be some arcane benchmarks or even advanced features in
certain file systems that might be useful to some ADVANCED users, who, in
such a case, would already mostly know how this stuff works.

However, what I've been seeing much more lately is a symptom of confusion by
users who are not advanced, and most beginners, who are totally confused
about which file system to use.  They think that some files (like mp3s or
videos) can only be stored in certain file systems, or like in this case,
there are some arbitrary limits on a file system and *obviously* another one
(their favorite) is better.

I would ask any and all Linux users/admins who understand that the file
system has nothing to do with the type of files you can store on it, and
know that most users should not be worrying or even thinking about this at
all, to please, please clarify this type of thinking whenever they see it.
At recent linux user meetings I've been to, this has become one of the
biggest points of confusion for both beginner and intermediate linux users.