[CentOS] Anyone use this OS as there webserver

Sat Oct 21 10:04:15 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-10-21 at 13:19 +1000, Samuel wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-10-20 at 21:08 -0600, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> > On 10/20/06, Samuel <technical at tedomains.net> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > If anybody uses CentOS as there own web-server and has a domain there
> > > using on it please tell me so I can check it out.
> > >

> > http://www.centos.org
> > http://www.hughesjr.com/
> >
> > probably lots of others. The server is not going to be what makes a
> > website look nice.. it is the software and extra work that goes into
> > it over that.
> >
> I am very well aware of that I just want to know how it handles things.
> Possibly by a <?phpinfo()?> tag in one of there files

Publishing a public phpinfo is dangerous ... it tells people who might
want to hack your server EXACTLY what capabilities and versions of
EVERYTHING you have and should be avoided at all costs.  Any phpinfo
should be inside a password protected (or IP restricted) directory.
PLEASE ... don't anyone do this on a machine you care about.

It is also worthless, as the output depends totally on which of php
packages (and other web related modules) you have installed.  These
packages are optional and only the ones you need should be installed.

CentOS was ranked 8th among Linux Distrubutions in number of Web Servers
installed on the entire Internet in Nov 2005 ... and we should have
moved up a couple places since then.

http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2005/12/05/strong_growth_for_debian.html

so _LOTS_ of people use CentOS as their webserver ... including
fedoralegacy.org :)

You should install CentOS yourself and do:

yum install php\* mod_ssl httpd mysql-server

That should give you a fully functional http server to look at.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes