[CentOS] Best backup software for linux

Mon Oct 23 03:17:04 UTC 2006
Aleksandar Milivojevic <alex at milivojevic.org>

Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
> I'd take a bit of an issue with your last statement, there.  Amanda's
> best feature is its *very* powerful scheduling algorithm.  Essentially,
> amanda tries to ensure that, within the parameters you set for time
> between full backups, each night's backup run backs up about the same
> amount of data.  This is very handy when you are, as I am, backing up
> ~10TB of data to small (even LTO3 is small when you're talking that much
> data) tapes.

I never said there's one backup solution that fits everything and
everybody.  It would be as silly as the labels on kid's Halloween
costumes ("one size fits most children", while in reality the costume
doesn't really fit on most children).

I simply recommended solution that served my needs quite well.  And left
to the others to recommend other solutions.

 From time to time I do miss Amanda's self-adjusting dynamic scheduler.
  Without going into details (that might easily result in needless "my
daddy has more hair on the back than yours"), there are other benefits
of Bacula that are more important to me.  I'm doing quite well by simply
defining different schedules for several sets of backup clients.  Works
almost as good.  Plus I know when particular full backup will kick in.