[CentOS] Best backup software for linux

Mon Oct 23 20:17:54 UTC 2006
Mark Schoonover <schoon at amgt.com>

Barry Brimer wrote:
>> We are running backup softwares for incrementals/differentials and
>> full backups with variouse softwares currently using dirvish scripts
>> + amanda .. what is everyones views on other opensourced backup
>> software? is there anything better or other options we have missed?
>> We are looking at backula as an option? any thoughts?
>
> I recommend Arkeia.  <http://www.arkeia.com>
>
> Barry

Unless they've changed things since v4.x, I CAN'T reccomend Arkeia. They
store the backup database on a local drive, and if you should loose that db,
you'll have to manually scan all your tapes before you can retrieve any
data. Yes, you can manually backup the db somewhere else, but you can't
easily put it on tape. Sure, you could simply dump the contents of each tape
to another system with Arkeia's CLI, but in my case, it was 24 hours per
AIT3 tape! Since this was in a library, I had 9 tapes to get through.

The best backup arrangement I've used is rysnc to another system. I have it
worked out in a very nice way to automate offsite storage to my colo.

I never recommend Arkeia to anyone... Sorry to be such a stick-in-the-mud
about it, but Arkeia let me down in a very severe manner, and I don't wish
anyone else to suffer through the same problems I had.

HTH

Mark