[CentOS] RHWAS rebuild efforts

Tue Oct 24 18:14:53 UTC 2006
Bisbal, Prentice <PBisbal at LexPharma.com>

-----Original Message-----
From: centos-bounces at centos.org on behalf of William Hooper
Sent: Tue 10/24/2006 1:58 PM
To: centos at centos.org
Subject: RE: [CentOS] RHWAS rebuild efforts

Bisbal, Prentice wrote:
> You don't need a Red Hat subscription to get any SRPMs from RHEL. The GPL
> requires that they provide them for free.

Read the GPL again.  I requires them to provide them at a reasonable cost
to people they distribute the binaries to.

> I believe that applies even th
> RHWAS, since that's still based on GPL'ed Linux code.

Please read the beginning of the thread.

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2006-October/071437.html

--
William Hooper

You're right - I didn't catch this thread from the beginning. Sorry. I haven't read the GPL recently. I  thought they had to provide the source code to ANYONE, not just paying customers who bought the binaries. Of course, even in that case, you can be charged for the costs of transferring that source code, and I guess RH can charge whatever they want, like the price of a RHWAS subscription. :(

Prentice

The contents of this communication, including any attachments, may be confidential, privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure.  They are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read, copy, use or disclose the contents of this communication.  Please notify the sender immediately and delete the communication in its entirety.