[CentOS] Gnome's profiles tool?

Tue Oct 24 22:21:38 UTC 2006
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu <m3freak at rogers.com>

On Tue, 2006-10-24 at 11:34 +0200, Jordi Espasa Clofent wrote:
> I've tried to compile Sabayon (the CentOS rpm is not avaiable I think) but
> there are a lot of dependencies to resolve.

You won't be able to use Sabayon to build profiles on a CentOS box.  As
you discovered, there are a lot of dependencies that will require
upgrading to non-CentOS package versions.  Sabayon is really built for
Gnome 2.10 and up (I believe 2.12+ is preferred).

What you can do is grab the sabayon RPM from FC4, and install it on a
CentOS 4 box with the rpm commands "--nodeps" option.  That gives you
50% of the solution.  sabayon-admin is the other 50%, and for that
you'll have to use FC4 - it will not run on CentOS 4.

So, you can use FC4 to build/create your Gnome profiles with
sabayon-admin, and then copy those profiles over to your CentOS box.
The profiles will be applied by sabayon, which _does_ run in CentOS
(even though not all dependencies can be met). Although the profiles
will have been built on FC4, which came with Gnome 2.10 (I believe),
they will still work in CentOS 4, which comes with Gnome 2.8.  gconf is
backwards compatible: new gconf keys are ignored in older versions of
gconf.  Well, that's how it's supposed to work, anyway.

I hope that makes sense.  I posted a more detailed step-by-step to the
sabyon list: check it out for more info.

BTW, I doing this for one of my clients that is running a Linux thin
client environment (Thinstation + CentOS 4.4).  Works great, no
problems.

Regards,

Ranbir

--