[CentOS] spam control

Thu Oct 26 12:48:14 UTC 2006
James Fidell <james at cloud9.co.uk>

Barry Brimer wrote:
>>> I believe he means that he is only greylisting incoming email when
>>> the server is listed in spamhaus. All other mail comes through
>>> without being greylisted (resulting in normal delivery times)
>>
>> Exactly so.
>
> Would you mind explaining how are you implementing this?

First, I'm using exim.  No particular reason for this other than I
know how to use it and even after many years hacking sendmail, I
still find it easier to work with exim :)  Now if I just had the
time to get exim to play nicely with vpopmail...

For the greylisting I'm using greylistd, which comes as an RPM for
RHEL4 from ATrpms.  The initial whitelist file is in the docs
installed with the RPM.  You probably need it installed so you
don't get problems with Yahoo Groups and the like.

My config is a bit tortuous because of various things I'm doing with
the server, but I started off from the details here:

http://www.exim.org/mail-archives/exim-users/Week-of-Mon-20050124/msg00214.html

You can't just cut'n'paste that into the exim config, but it's a
reasonable place to start.  If you're in need of more clues, I can
write up what I did in a couple of days time.

James