[CentOS] The elephant in the room: Oracle

Thu Oct 26 14:55:35 UTC 2006
Joseph Kouyoumjian <joe at microreplay.com>

On Thu, 2006-10-26 at 09:22 -0500, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-10-25 at 21:46 -0600, Tarun Reddy wrote:
> > So what does everyone else think of Oracle's announcement? http://
> > developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/10/25/2316221
> >
> > I kind of think that they are going to be hurting RedHat (a valuable
> > partner if you believe their deployment numbers).
> >

> Well ... IBM, Novell and Oracle were very unhappy when Red Hat bought
> JBOSS.  Red Hat has now deployed the Red Hat Web Application Stack that
> includes 2 JBOSS application server products and competes with other
> middleware produced by Oracle and IBM.
>
> Oracle just considers this tit-for-tat in that they are going to move
> into Red Hat's market if Red Hat insists on moving into theirs.
>
> Red Hat made a business decision to grow their business in a different
> direction and, according to Oracle, that caused the Oracle action.  It
> is too late now to put either genie back in the bottle.
>
> Regardless where you stand on this issue, it should not have come as a
> surprise to anyone.
>
> This might have an impact on RHEL, I don't see it having any impact on
> CentOS.  (The cost difference between RHEL ES and the Oracle versions
> are not that great, at least on i386 ... and any supported oracle
> database is going to be on a paid OS anyway, be it Oracle or RHEL)
>
> Thanks,
> Johnny Hughes

Yes, but if Red Hat takes measures to protect their sources (like taking
them off-line and making them available only on-request) to slow Oracle
down, it could hurt CentOS.  That would be a shame...