[CentOS] AACRAID controller setup?

Fri Oct 27 19:03:20 UTC 2006
Jim Perrin <jperrin at gmail.com>

On 10/27/06, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> This isn't exactly a Centos question but maybe someone here can help:
> Does the AACRAID controller (as in an IBM 3550) store its config info
> on the drives or internally?  I only have one of the boxes and want
> to load Centos 3.x on several drives which can be swapped into
> servers at another location.  With SCSI, all that took was a full disk
> dd copy and a little fiddling with the HWADDR for the nics.  However
> these don't even see a disk until you run the raid setup in bios.
>
> Does anyone know if a new server will recognize the setup (one drive,
> no raid) from the cloned disk or what it will take to make it
> accept the swap?

We don't have that exact box, but we've got racks full of ibms like
it. It stores the information on both the controller and the drives.
If they don't match, you'll get a warning that tells you they don't
match and you can either drive on with the existing config, or you can
choose to read the configuration from the drive. If you're swapping
more than one disk, they have to be kept in the same order, or else
it'll get amazingly irritable, and you can kiss your data goodbye.

George Orwell