[CentOS] Terminal settings question.

Mon Oct 30 17:05:41 UTC 2006
fredex <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>

On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 11:08:17AM -0500, David Mackintosh wrote:
> Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> >David Mackintosh wrote:
> >>Hiya folks,
> >>So.  Clearly I have something set incorrectly so that Mutt (and/or the
> >>terminal I am using) do not understand the special characters.  Can
> >>anyone point me in the right direction to find the answer as to how to
> >>fix this so that I can ditch Thunderbird and go back to Mutt?
> >
> >It works for me with "TERM=gnome mutt".
> >

> Doesn't work.  I probably should have mentioned that I see this problem
> in these terminals:
>
> - putty on windows
> - xterm on linux
> - gnome-terminal on linux
> - multi-gnome-terminal on linux
> - linux on linux (ie logged into the console)
>
> Doing an export TERM=vt100 before invoking mutt sometimes, but not
> always, can make some of these problems go away (but not this one).
>
> This is an example of what I am seeing:
>
> http://www.xdroop.com/img/mutt-terminal-drippings.jpg

David:

I occasionally see display corruption in Mutt too. It always goes away
(temporarily) by refreshing the screen with a CTRL-L, which leads me to
believe it may be either a curses or terminal behavior problem.

So far I haven't figured out what it could be, and when I attempt to
reproduce it so I can report it, it tends to be not reproducible.

I see it most often, though not exclusively, when at work using a VPN to
connect to my home box for purposes of reading mail. I'm using the same
Linux at work, and using the default gnome terminal I also use at home, where
I hardly ever observe the problem.