[CentOS] Centos and Network Attached Storage

Tue Oct 31 16:48:38 UTC 2006
Mark Schoonover <schoon at amgt.com>

Alexandru Asofie wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I need to setup a NAS server on Centos. The machine will be:
> Dual xeon/Dual Opteron
> 4GB memory
> 13x 320GB SATA + 1 hotspare
> 1x 320GB SATA for OS
> The server can do RAID5,6,or 10.
> Has anyone installed such a software and can you recommand a specific
> product?
>
> Thank you.

I've built multi-terabyte systems around CentOS, and I'm in the process of
writing up the "Poor Man's SAN" in my copious free time! ;)

You don't mention what kind of RAID card you're using, but I stick with
3Ware. In a nutshell, all you need to do is a minimal install of CentOS from
the first CD. Yum update everything. After this point, you can config Samba
for your Windows clients, or NFS for other *nixes as needed. Could probably
do AFS as well for Macs, but I haven't done that before.

You'll have to wait until I get my howto done to configure hourly snapshots,
etc....

HTH

Mark