[CentOS] mysql won't start

Tue Oct 31 17:48:31 UTC 2006
Aleksandar Milivojevic <alex at milivojevic.org>

Quoting Jim Perrin <jperrin at gmail.com>:

>> We are not even getting to the dependancy hell this will involve.
>>
>> So how do I fix this problem?  I'd rather not pave the system and
>> start from scratch, but honestly if I'd done that the moment that
>> this problem manifested, I'd probably be up and running again by now.
>
> This sounds like you have both the i386 package and the x86_64 package
> installed.

For mysql package, that is perfectly OK.  mysql.i386 has 32-bit libs,
mysql.x86_64 has 64-bit libs.

/var/lib/mysql isn't part of mysql package.  It's part of mysql-server
package.  Therefore, uninstalling mysql package isn't likely to fix
anything.  However, if David still wants to do it, the right option to
use is --allmatches (as documented in rpm man page).

Now, before doing anything drastic.  David, do you have SELinux
running on the box?  If so, is there anything logged in
/var/log/messages when you attempt to start MySQL?  Also, it'd be
interesting to see output of "ls -lZd / /var /var/lib /var/lib/mysql".

--
NOTICE: If you are not intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that by reading this message you agreed not to disturb frogs during