[CentOS] Helping CentOS automatically

chrism at imntv.com chrism at imntv.com
Fri Sep 1 15:32:03 UTC 2006

William L. Maltby wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-09-01 at 11:20 -0400, chrism at imntv.com wrote:
>
>> sophana wrote:
>>
>>> I have some bandwidth left on my dedicated centos 4 server (100mbit/s)
>>> I might contribute some of it if you can tell me what bittorrent program
>>> I should use.
>>> I need one that takes very low cpu, also have to make qos working.
>>> Anyone has a script to lower bittorrent priority?
>>>

>> Perhaps I'm missing something, but most bittorrent clients make it
>> rather easy to define/limit the speed of both the upstream and
>> downstream data rate.  So it will only consume as much bandwidth as you
>> allow it.  I'm not certain what you can do about controlling the number
>> of network connections or even if that would be considered any real
>> burden on modern hardware if you've got a sensible upstream bitrate set.
>>

> The burden on modern hardware are providers like my Road Runner
> provider. They have clauses in their TOU that say no organization of any
> kind, ... disconnect if use seems excessively outside that expected, ...
> etc. Living in the boonies, where density is low, I get *great*
> throughput. But I know if Bellsouth doesn't hurry up and get some (A)DSL
> out here, providing some competition, Road Runner will probably throttle
> me, figuring they can squeeze more $$ out of me.
>
> They'll be wrong, but...

That's a horse of a different color.  The OP said something about having
dedicated servers with a 100mbit link to the net.  If you're hanging off
a cablemodem you're pretty much at the mercy of your cable provider.  I
know folks who have gotten their ports throttled and/or turned off for
no apparent reason only to get an "oops" or "you must have been doing
something wrong" type of response when they called to report trouble
with their connection.

I generally leave a copy of the latest DVD torrent available on one of
my older servers at the datacenter, but I limit upstream throughput to
about 30kbit/sec.   I just experimented with setting it to "unlimited"
and my upstream traffic immediately spiked up to about 6mbits/sec....so
I put it back to the way it was.  :)

Cheers,