[CentOS] OT: How to make files placed into FTP directory availablevia http

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 19:47:45 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-09-01 at 12:15 -0700, Email Lists wrote:

[ftp files in, see them via http...]

> I am a tad confused or lost here... and this is an interesting Centos app of
> course.  :-)

It's pretty standard operation for any unix-like box if you undo the
tacked-on security for the distribution.  You want the updating user
to have his home directory wherever the files should land, and the
directory should be readable by the http server.

> I think the default setting for httpd is not to display the contents of a
> directory especially if there is no index file.

Apache is infinitely configurable.  If you want directories, set
  Options +Indexes
for the scope you want.  If the user already has a working home
dir elsewhere you can point a symlink from the web directory to
the place holding the files and use
  Options +Indexes +FollowSymLinks
to make it work.

--