[CentOS] 4.4 yum update problem

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 21:21:09 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-09-01 at 17:01 -0400, Guillermo Garron wrote:

> > On one of my machines yum hung up while installing the updates and
> > could not be interrupted or killed.  I rebooted the machine the next
> > day, but now a 'yum update' reports:
> >
> > Error: Missing Dependency: openssh = 3.9p1-8.RHEL4.12 is needed by
> > package openssh-askpass-gnome
> > and
> > Error: Missing Dependency: rpm = 4.3.3-13_nonptl is needed by package
> > rpm-build
> >
> > even though rpm -q says those version are installed:
> >
> > #rpm -q rpm openssh
> > rpm-4.3.3-13_nonptl
> > openssh-3.9p1-8.RHEL4.12
> >
> > Now what?
> Maybe you can try
> yum clean all
> so you can start a complete process again.

I already tried that with no luck.  I even did a
yum update up2date
up2date -u
and it complains that it needs the same packages but that they are
already installed...

It looks like I have duplicates, so maybe an rpm -q to find the
versions and rpm -e to remove one will fix things so the rest of
the updates will work.  Now how do I tell if there are any other
duplicates besides the ones that happened to be noticed by the
dependency checks?

  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com