[CentOS] Kernel-2.6.9-42.0.2EL fails to boot afterupgradetoCentOS 4.4

Gerald Waugh gwaugh at frontstreetnetworks.com
Sat Sep 2 20:10:10 UTC 2006

> The same problem happened with a server after I upgrade the
> kernel to 2.6.9-42.0.2.
>
> Another server, with similar configuration, boots normally on
> new kernel.
>
> Both uses software RAID and LVM2, (/boot on md0 and Logical
> Volume on md1). Only differences between the servers is HD,
> on first have two Seagate (ST380013AS Rev: 3.18) 80 GB,
> another have two Western Digital (WDC WD2000JD-55H Rev: 08.0) 120 GB.
>
> As it is a production server, I didn't make any test to
> investigate the problem, just boot on previous kernel.

Our server is a test (sandbox) server, we use LILO, we increase the
timeout to 120,
And this gives us time to select the old kernel.

Thanks to all who responded to the problem with the new kernel, we
appreciate your input.

The server runs fine with the update on the old kernel....
That's OK, but why won't it run on the -42.0.2 kernel???

Gerald