[CentOS] Backspace key is sending Delete after update to 4.4 (tcsh issue?)

Alfred von Campe

alfred at 110.net
Sat Sep 2 23:11:03 UTC 2006

Maybe it was always sending Delete and I didn't notice it, but I have
had the following in my .tcshrc file for ages (without realizing it):

     bindkey -b ^? i-search-back

Before the update to 4.4, hitting the backspace key at the shell
prompt deleted the previous character.  Now it activates the search
backwards function as instructed to do so by the bindkey directive.
The question is, what changed to cause this?  I never realized I had
that bindkey statement (I have never used the search backwards
function).  Is this a change in tcsh?  Has something changed in the X
server?  Here is the output from xev when pressing and releasing the
Backspace key:

   KeyPress event, serial 28, synthetic NO, window 0x2800001,
       root 0x48, subw 0x0, time 1593248, (136,112), root:(179,193),
       state 0x0, keycode 22 (keysym 0xff08, BackSpace), same_screen
YES,
       XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (08) "
       XmbLookupString gives 1 bytes: (08) "
       XFilterEvent returns: False

   KeyRelease event, serial 28, synthetic NO, window 0x2800001,
       root 0x48, subw 0x0, time 1593358, (136,112), root:(179,193),
       state 0x0, keycode 22 (keysym 0xff08, BackSpace), same_screen
YES,
       XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (08) "

If I remove that bindkey command from my .tcshrc file, the Backspace
key removes the previous character as expected.  However, hitting
Backspace in vim inserts ^? into the file (with or without the
bindkey setting).  Anybody else seen this?  I've removed the bindkey
statement from my .tcshrc file, but it's still annoying me in vim
that I can't hit Backspace to delete the previous character...

Alfred