[CentOS] Access email and addressbook from everywhere

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon Sep 4 05:43:06 UTC 2006

Josep M. wrote:
> I used squirrelmail, and address book is much less good than evolution,
> so maybe I will look for anything for control my desktop via web, using
> https if is possible.
>
> Evolution have a great mail, contacts, calendar and tasks, and

Not everyone has that view:-)

vnc through a VPN is realistic, VNC through SSH is fairly easy:

ssh -L5902:desktop.office.lan:5902 example.com

then run vncviewer listening to 127.0.0.1:5902. This assumes that
"desktop.office.lan" is your box and is directly accessible from
example.com. vncserver can be, but doesn't have to be, on the system you
connect to using ssh.

I use this same technique to configure routers and printers over the
Internet.

--

Cheers
John