[CentOS] yum consumes machine (load average soars to 47)

Daniel Senie

dts at senie.com
Tue Sep 5 09:00:49 UTC 2006

I was using yum to update packages a few nights ago on one of my
servers. The update of rpm packages appeared to die. Since then,
commands like 'yum check-update' will consume the system. This is a
dual-core Pentium-D, with X64 (and I'm running 64 bit). One CPU pegs
at 100% running yum, but whatever it's doing on disk really is the
bigger issue. It so consumes the disk subsystem as everything else
grinds to a halt and the system becomes unusable (likely swapping
itself silly).

I'd really like to get this resovled and apply errata. What I need to
know is where to start looking. I've tried a 'yum clean all' but that
doesn't help.

Dan
Daniel Senie                                        dts at senie.com
Amaranth Networks Inc.                    http://www.amaranth.com

   "George Orwell was only off by 20 years. Had he titled his book
    2004 instead of 1984, he'd have been hailed as prescient.
    War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength." -dts