[CentOS] yum consumes machine (load average soars to 47)

Daniel Senie dts at senie.com
Tue Sep 5 13:40:09 UTC 2006

At 05:29 AM 9/5/2006, Joseph Haig wrote:
> [...]

OK, updated that (had to update sqlite-devel too). But this didn't
seem to help.

Even killing off everything else I could find that chews up memory on
the machine, consumes all swap space, and the load average soars.

The threads pointed to in another email suggest there may be
duplicate package installs causing issues. That's not the case on
this system. The only packages showing duplicates are the kernel,
which should be correct.

strace shows it doing brk() calls, nothing else. Just in a tight loop
allocating every ounce of memory I've got until the machine is
swapping itself to death.

Aha! Found it: there were two copies of python-sqlite installed, one
being the old one and one I added. System didn't clean up the old one
when the new was installed. That's ugly.

I've now completed at full "yum update" though reading the rest of
the messages on the list, I'm not 100% sure I want to reboot onto the
new kernel...

Thanks to those who pointed me in the right direction to find and
solve the insatiable memory eater issue.