[CentOS] remote file access,

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 18:24:32 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-09-05 at 20:05 +0200, kai wrote:

> >> I need to access my mail boxes from two desktops on a local network,
> >> windows and CentOS.
> >>
> > Why not use soemthign like thunderbird and connect to the mail server
> > with the imap protocol? Maybe i am missing something here.
> >
> Thank you for answering.
>
> No you don't miss anything, I really don't now, but I've had some bad
> experience when switching from established smtp to imap, and mails where
> lost.

SMTP is for sending, imap is for reading, and is designed to allow
access from multiple clients.  Perhaps you mean switching from pop
to imap.

> I want my mail boxes to be on 1 place and not deleted when loaded and
> synchronised, additionally where I can easily back up.

That's what imap does.

> I was thinking to use fetchmail or similar, I think it can collect
> several smtp account to one user, but I haven't set that up before and
> also I think it collects everything in to one inbox, correct me if I am
> wrong.

If some of the accounts allow pop but not imap, you can use
fetchmail to collect them on a server that does have imap. Or
set up forwarding to the imap server.

> It would be very interesting to her what others do when they have
> multiply smtp accounts and multiple access are needed.

IMAP is the best approach.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com