[CentOS] OT - backup question/advice

Mark Weaver mdw1982 at mdw1982.com
Wed Sep 6 01:38:12 UTC 2006

Alan Sparks wrote:
> Mark Weaver wrote:
>> no problem. personally I've always wondered why the proc file system
>> exists at all as part of the file system. ya can't do anything with
>> it; it's more of a tease than anything else. When I first started with
>> Linux years ago I wasn't aware of it's "specialness" and looked like
>> the monkey with his fist in a jar trying to do things with those
>> "files" in there. ;P
> Huh?  The /proc filesystem provides info for system monitoring tools
> (like "top").  Also, the "files" therein provide system config
> infomation, and can be altered to reset lots of things dynamically
> during system run (check out "sysctl", for instance).
> -Alan

I forgot to add the "tongue in cheek" part. my bad.

of course I'm aware of those things now, but at the time... well that
was a different story. hence the monkey with his fist in the jar.
Actually I'm more interested to know just what processes go on the
actually create that file system.

"If you have found a very wise man, then you've found
a man that at one time was an idiot and lived long enough
to learn from his own stupidity."