[CentOS] wifi (ipw2200) stoped working after upgrade to 4.4

Philip Wyett philipwyett at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Sep 6 15:12:56 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-09-06 at 15:45 +0100, Tony Molloy wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 September 2006 13:33, Ian Harper wrote:
> > I has version 3 rather than 2.4 - thats sorted it - thanks
> >
> > Ian

> On a Dell latitude D810 with an ipw2200, yep problems with the new
> 2.6.9-42.0.2.EL kernel and the new 2.6.9-42.0.2.plus.c4 centosplus kernel
> and the new 2.4 ipw firmware installed.
>
> An old 2.6.9-34.107.plus centosplus kernel works fine but this uses the
> earlier 2.2 ipw firmware.
>
> I'm using the centosplus kernels to get firewire working but that's
> another matter ;-)
> .
> > > The latest kernel requires you have the Intel ipw 2.4 firmware
> > > installed in '/lib/firmware/'. Have you done this?
> > >

> I've installed the new 2.4 firmware. Left the old stuff there, for the old
> kernel, maybe that's the problem. Anyway when I boot with the new kernels
> the network takes a long time, 10's of seconds, to start. Then it
> generally works for a time, 5 to 10 minutes, then stops dead!!!
>
> Using "dmesg | grep ipw" the wireless card is detected Ok but then there
> is an error
>
> Unknown notification: subtype=40,flags=0xa0,size=40
>
> Any ideas.
>
> I'm going to have a look at this when I get home tonight.
>
> Regards,
>
> Tony

I do not get the error message you get via dmesg on my Sony laptop.

With regard wireless with the latest kernel over and above no signal
level stats due to the bump to WE 18. I have the same connection and
drop out issues. For me the connection is fine for anything web related
that is not passing constant data, but if I vnc to another machine on my
wireless connection, it will die after about 10 mins and require me to
close and restart vnc.

Regards

Phil