[CentOS] yum vs up2date

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 16:10:30 UTC 2006

> What on Earth does that have to do with anything?  You've got poor
> connectivity or expensive connectivity or both in the "last mile" part
> of your link to the Internet.  How is changing the mirroring system
> going to help you or others like you?

Faulty question. Changing the mirror system would help him. This is
why he wants it done. The question more appropriately (in my mind at
least) is "Should centos get into the business of tweaking the mirror
so that it suits the special case last mile users?"

The current mirror system is a vast improvement over the previous design.

There's some parental pride which will be resistant to change over the
current script, although if it's a worthwhile improvement, I'm sure
reason will prevail.

I believe that we provide a general service, and that to some extent,
it's up to individual users to tweak to suit their unique needs. I
don't think CentOS should get involved with "last mile" efforts, as
most other distros do not, (or do so only by accident as with debian
picking a mirror close to you).

There's nothing stopping people from changing the repo file to suit
their needs, and indeed from another thread on the centos-devel list
it seems that many do this to point to custom/local/tested
repositories of their own creation.

George Orwell