[CentOS] yum vs up2date

chrism at imntv.com chrism at imntv.com
Thu Sep 7 16:37:05 UTC 2006

Jim Perrin wrote:
>> What on Earth does that have to do with anything?  You've got poor
>> connectivity or expensive connectivity or both in the "last mile" part
>> of your link to the Internet.  How is changing the mirroring system
>> going to help you or others like you?
>
> Faulty question. Changing the mirror system would help him. This is
> why he wants it done. The question more appropriately (in my mind at
> least) is "Should centos get into the business of tweaking the mirror
> so that it suits the special case last mile users?"
>
> [snip]
> There's nothing stopping people from changing the repo file to suit
> their needs, and indeed from another thread on the centos-devel list
> it seems that many do this to point to custom/local/tested
> repositories of their own creation.

I guess that is a better wording of my point.  Thanks!  :) I think the
current system is workable for the vast majority of folks and that an
end user already has the ability to season their mirror list to taste if
they want/need to.   Perhaps Mr. Summerfield can help find someone
willing to host a public mirror in Perth.  :)

Cheers,