[CentOS] yum vs up2date

Lance Davis lance at uklinux.net
Thu Sep 7 17:32:52 UTC 2006

On Thu, 7 Sep 2006, Matt Hyclak wrote:

> There may be a valid point here. I don't help manage the centosX servers, so
> I am unaware if they frequently change locations, etc. If they are
> relatively static, then perhaps a naming scheme that indicates country or
> continent of origin would be useful. But again - I don't think most people
> care. If a server half a world away is faster, I'm going to use that one.

The point is that those CentOS servers are not meant to be used - they are
only there as a fallback , so given them descriptive locational names
would not be helpful.

We try to make sure that enough external mirrors have the centos payload
before we announce release, but to prevent yum hanging during release we
populate the mirrorlist with centosx servers if there arent enough local
mirrors.

That is a policy which we will now review.

Lance

--
uklinux.net -
The ISP of choice for the discerning Linux user.