[CentOS] yum vs up2date

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu Sep 7 17:10:17 UTC 2006

Lance Davis wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Sep 2006, John Summerfield wrote:
>
>> chrism at imntv.com wrote:
>>
>> You haven't shown how the mirroring system find a good mirror, and the
>> evidence Johnny gave shows it doesn't.
>

> Ehhh ???

The shortest "wire" was thousands of kilometres long. From a networking
POV, that's not good.

>> There _are_ good mirrors, I wasted some time perusing broadband plans
>> and found another (only has I32 and AMD-64, but finding zSeries was a
>> surprise).
>>
>> Your mirror system doesn't show them to users, and that's a problem to
>> those users whom it costs.
>>

> John, I am sorry but you are talking rubbish.
>
> We only list mirrors that tell us they want to be listed. We are not
> about to go searching the net to find other ones.

I'm only an ignorant user, I don't know how the Centos organisation
works or how you found the systems you do list.

> And then we also check that they are up2date before listing them ...
>
> If you know of mirrors that are not listed that have CentOS then maybe
> you could ask them to get in touch with us in order to be listed.
> Contact details are on the CentOS website.

I'll ask the two I've found.

>> _I_ think Debian handles mirrors pretty well, it lets me specify
>> country and gives me a choice, and the names I see mean something.
>>

> As has already been mentioned in this thread - use Debian ...

As I already said in this thread, I do.

>> Those Centos names might mean something to someone, but from here they
>> just looked like someone chose random (or maybe consecutive) letters
>> to differentiate their names. When I believed they are Australian, I
>> tried to match them to Australian localities, but failed.
>

> I dont know what CentOS names you are talking about - if you mean

They're in this thread.

> centosa->centosc2 then they are internal centos servers that will be
> pushd out to the mirrorlists if there are no other current mirrors. That

I've been using the Internet for quite a few years; when I was learning
its ins & outs, I read that one should choose a mirror that is
relatively local (as measured by the wire).

There aren't that many wires out of Perth, and they're very long ones,
so from our perspective geographic locality and topological locality are
pretty much the same.

Use of mirrors on the opposite side of the globe when there's a nearer
choice just goes to tie up bandwidth needlessly, increasing costs for
all. It's a bad idea.

I don't know the current position wrt international data flow, but I'm
thinking Australia pays for incoming data. There was a big fuss years
ago, the US wanted to charge Australia for data from US to Oz, but not
pay us for data Oz to US.

> will happen when we have just released - and is done as a service to
> users so they can pull stuff when mirrors dont have it.

There were several other mirrors listed, so there were other mirrors
available.

> As we have no servers donated to us in .au , none of them will be
> located there , but if you want to spend some time getting us some
> dedicated servers donated in .au then we would be very grateful.

It wasn't apparent to me that any of the mirrors I saw in the list was
dedicsted to CentOS, and I suspect some are shared with other mirrors.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait