[CentOS] Restarting mouse services

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Thu Sep 7 21:49:46 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-07 at 17:37 -0400, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> William L. Maltby wrote:

> >> Maybe it is usb services that needs a kick in its hindend?
> >>

> > I meant to mention that possibility. I don't know much about usb. I know
> > there's 2(?) drivers that need loading? Not sure, uhci_hcd
> > ehci_hcd?
> >
> > It *used* to be, long ago and far away, that we could just rmmod stuff
> > and then start up a service needing the modules. I wouldn't know if
> > that's save in today's environ or not.
> >
> I looked into the /etc/rc.d/init.d directory and did not see anything
> there that looked connected...

Wouldn't be there. These are device drivers. *If* they're loadable
modules (I think they are), they can be inserted by the initrd process
or may be mandated in the /etc/modprobe.conf file.

If you do "lsmod" you'll see them *if* they are modules. There's also a
command that I like "modinfo". Gives basic info. There's some params,
IIRC. "Man modinfo" 'cause I'll be darned if I remember them! :-(

> <snip>

Test on one of your non-critical machines? rmmod <the name of a module>
and it will either remove it or tell you something is using it, IIRC.
That might give you enough boost on the old learning curve to address
the current problem without resorting to Windows SOP.

HTH
--
Bill