[CentOS] yum vs up2date

Lance Davis lance at uklinux.net
Thu Sep 7 21:52:59 UTC 2006

On Thu, 7 Sep 2006, Les Mikesell wrote:

> That would also be fine if it always gave the same list in the same
> order when asked through the same proxy -

It will until it next checks the mirrors - which happen approx hourly -
and then the mirrors within a cc are used randomly so as not to overload
any particular mirror with al the traffic.

> if the client walks the list
> in order.

It does - unless you use fastestmirror plugin

> Or if the URL to get this list was always the same and
> it is marked cachable for some time.

It is always the same - mabe it needs marking as cachable ??

> You don't have to control a machine to give out it's IP in a DNS
> response. You only have to arrange for it accept the name as a vhost
> and map the document root to the top of your mirror tree. That still
> may be a lot to ask but it is a very different question.

It is more than most mirrors will do - especially when they have varying
format urls

> The nature of your product is such that the odds are good that vast
> numbers of those boxes are located in some small number of places that
> would only pull one copy of an update if you didn't go out of your way
> to force each machine to get its own.

But at least we get to see how many machines are out there :)

Regards
Lance

--
uklinux.net -
The ISP of choice for the discerning Linux user.