[CentOS] Re: Restarting mouse services

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Fri Sep 8 23:24:38 UTC 2006

Robert Moskowitz spake the following on 9/7/2006 5:53 PM:
> William L. Maltby wrote:
>>> Yep, there they are.
>>> But nothing to restart.  I can remove and install the modules with
>>> modprobe, but not restart.
>> *If* something, such as a mouse driver depended on them, normally a
>> modprobe.conf (is USB special? Does it need definition in modprobe.conf?
>> Yes, see below) might exist that showed that relationship. So, after you
>> removed the usb drivers, if you did a restart on the mouse or kb or
>> whatever, it would cause the modules to be reloaded via modprobe.conf
>> entries. I don't use mouse/keyboard there, but mine has this.
>> alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
>> alias usb-controller1 uhci-hcd
>> So if i did a mount, e.g. of my usb drive, that should cause the usb
>> modules to be automatically loaded.
>> So, restart your mouse on the test machine and if your fortunate, the
>> modprobe will occur, based on the node's "memory" that your mouse is
>> usb, to load those modules.
> Well I did a
> modprobe -rv ehci-hcd
> modprobe -rv ohci-hcd
> The USB keyboard stopped working after I removed ohci-hcd.
> I unplugged and replugged the USB M/K adapter and nothing happene.  No
> mouse, no keyboard (of course notebook mouse/pointer continued to
> work).  Then I did a:
> modprobe -v ohci-hcd
> And the usb keyboard started up,  but not the mouse.
> gpm restart did nothing.
> Well, it is time to move my notebook.  Next local only has a usb mouse,
> no kvm, no external keyboard...
Wouldn't it be more prudent to just use the keyboard/mouse that is built into
the laptop? I know it doesn't solve your problem, but it makes it easier to
work without the distraction of things not working.

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and
you notice quickly if they don't!!!!