[CentOS] Re: Restarting mouse services

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Fri Sep 8 23:24:38 UTC 2006

Robert Moskowitz spake the following on 9/7/2006 5:53 PM:
> William L. Maltby wrote:

>>> Yep, there they are.

>>> But nothing to restart.  I can remove and install the modules with
>>> modprobe, but not restart.
>>>

>> *If* something, such as a mouse driver depended on them, normally a
>> modprobe.conf (is USB special? Does it need definition in modprobe.conf?
>> Yes, see below) might exist that showed that relationship. So, after you
>> removed the usb drivers, if you did a restart on the mouse or kb or
>> whatever, it would cause the modules to be reloaded via modprobe.conf
>> entries. I don't use mouse/keyboard there, but mine has this.
>>
>> alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
>> alias usb-controller1 uhci-hcd
>>
>> So if i did a mount, e.g. of my usb drive, that should cause the usb
>> modules to be automatically loaded.
>>
>> So, restart your mouse on the test machine and if your fortunate, the
>> modprobe will occur, based on the node's "memory" that your mouse is
>> usb, to load those modules.
>>
> Well I did a
>
> modprobe -rv ehci-hcd
> modprobe -rv ohci-hcd
>
> The USB keyboard stopped working after I removed ohci-hcd.
>
> I unplugged and replugged the USB M/K adapter and nothing happene.  No
> mouse, no keyboard (of course notebook mouse/pointer continued to
> work).  Then I did a:
>
> modprobe -v ohci-hcd
>
> And the usb keyboard started up,  but not the mouse.
>
> gpm restart did nothing.
>
> Well, it is time to move my notebook.  Next local only has a usb mouse,
> no kvm, no external keyboard...
Wouldn't it be more prudent to just use the keyboard/mouse that is built into
the laptop? I know it doesn't solve your problem, but it makes it easier to
work without the distraction of things not working.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and