[CentOS] Yum update frozen

Vincent Knecht vknecht at club-internet.fr
Mon Sep 11 20:33:36 UTC 2006

Le lundi 11 septembre 2006 21:26, M. Fioretti a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> about one hour ago, I did a "yum update" on a remote centos 4.3
> server. It said:
[...]

>   Cleanup   : e2fsprogs                    ##################### [ 73/124]
>
> and then nothing more. It has remained stuck at that line for almost one
> hour now. Is something funny happening? What should I do? Hit Control-C,
> halt the system from another shell (during an upgrade????)?
> or should I simply ignore it?
>
> I have no problem to reinstall/reconfigure something if need be. I'm just
> worried to lose any contact with the server if I do the wrong thing
> during an apparently frozen update.
>
> TIA,
> 	Marco

erm, well, I got that too (freeze of yum update in cleanup stage).
When I finally went to the console, the server was spitting lots of ext3
(filesystem) error messages :-(
  I had no other option than restart the barbarian way (I had the magic SysRq
disabled, so maybe you can avoid that), the filesystem check seemed to do his
job, but then I had a number of duplicate packages, which I cleaned using
that command given by Scott Silva on september 1st in "4.4 yum update
problem" thread:

for file in `rpm -qa --queryformat="%{NAME} %{ARCH}\n" | sort | uniq -c
| grep -v "  1 " | cut -c 9- | cut -d" " -f1`; do rpm -q --last $file |
tail -1 | cut -d" " -f1; done | grep -v gpg-pubkey | xargs rpm -e
 --justdb --nodeps 2> /tmp/dupes

(all on one line)

  So I'd say check if there are messages on the console, and wait a little for
comments from people in the know to see if there are better advices...