[CentOS] Re: Yum update frozen: -bash: child setpgid (9021 to 9021): No such process

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Mon Sep 11 22:16:59 UTC 2006

M. Fioretti spake the following on 9/11/2006 1:58 PM:
> On Mon, Sep 11, 2006 21:26:19 PM +0200, io (mfioretti at mclink.it)
> wrote:
>
>> about one hour ago, I did a "yum update" on a remote centos 4.3
>> server. It said:
>
>>   Cleanup   : mkinitrd                     ##################### [ 72/124]
>>   Cleanup   : e2fsprogs                    ##################### [ 73/124]
>>
>> and then nothing more. It has remained stuck at that line for almost
>> one hour now.
>
> Hello, it's me again.
>
> I don't know if it's relevant, but I have connected via ssh as normal
> user without seeing any error. Then, when I switch to root, I get:
>
> $ su -
> -bash: child setpgid (9021 to 9021): No such process
> Password:
>
> I have seen via Google that others, to fix these warnings, suggested
> to:
>
> "mv /lib/tls /tls-disabled as noted in the 2.6 kernel announcements."
>
> No problem from me to do that. Just dubious if (considering the hanged
> update) it is something to do before, after, instead typing "halt" at
> this second ssh window I have.
>
> Thoughts, comments, explanations of what is actually happening?
>
> Thanks in advance for any feedback,
>
> Marco
If you can't get another root prompt in another session, then a reboot might
be your only choice. IF the system seems to be responding otherwise, you could
take your time and reboot. If system is not responding, then reboot is
probably the only choice.
You don't want to send a "halt" unless you have some way to turn the system
back on remotely.
--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and