[CentOS] HAL Problems

Christian Bolz christian at bolzchristian.de
Tue Sep 12 17:11:14 UTC 2006

Am Dienstag, den 12.09.2006, 09:15 -0400 schrieb Jim Wildman:
> On Tue, 12 Sep 2006, Christian Bolz wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > since the last few days my system crashs at startup of gdm (on system boot).
> >
> > If I choose runlevel 2, the system doesn't crash. I found out, that HAL is
> > the problem. After disabling hal (chkconfig haldaemon --off) no crashes
> > appear.
> >
> > The system freezes completly so I can't look into the logfiles.
> >
> > I removed an reinstalled hal already, but nothing changed.
> >
> > I tried older kernels releases and nothing changed.
> >
> > Any help would be nice!
>
> Details would help.
> What hardware?
> What kernel version?
> What gdm version?
> What hal version?
Dell Inspiron 6000, Centrino (Intel 2200 WLAN), 512 MB, 1.6 GHz, ATI
X300
all packages are up to date - except kernel. Because of problems with
VMware I'm using version 2.6.9-34.0.2.EL.
hal = 0.4.2-4.EL4
gdm = 2.6.0.5-7.rhel4.12

> Had you made any changes to the system prior to this starting?
I looked at yum.log - no changes since Sep 01. But the problem first
appeared yesterday.

The only thing I changed yesterday was deactivating ntpd.

If I boot into runlevel 2 and use "startx" the system works fine. If I
boot into runlevel 5 and disabled hal before, the system works fine,
too.

Only if I active hal and boot into runlevel 5 the system hangs.

Regards, Christian