[CentOS] Wrties starving reads

Steve Bergman steve at rueb.com
Wed Sep 13 19:19:39 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-09-13 at 14:29 -0400, chrism at imntv.com wrote:

> What exactly are you doing that's causing this condition?  I've got a
> 4-core opteron box that I've just installed 4.4 + updates on and would
> like to see if I can duplicate the problem.

bonnie++ -f

Actually, I'm switching to /home/steve and, as root:

bonnie++ -f -u steve

It's a 4GB machine, so bonnie runs with an 8GB dataset.

I'm installing 4.4 on my desktop box now for testing without raid or
lvm.

I have an FC5 box at the office which does not exhibit the problem with
the 2.6.17 kernel using raid1+lvm2.  But the raid is currently running
in degraded mode.  I'll be syncing up the other drive tonight and will
test again.

-Steve