[CentOS] CentOS-announce mailing list

John Hinton webmaster at ew3d.com
Wed Sep 13 21:21:21 UTC 2006

Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> Dominik Składanowski wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> does it true every CentOS mailing list subscriber gets a digests from
>> CentOS-announce mailing list?
>>

> Yes. The single announcements are posted to the announce-list only, the
> digests are posted to the centos list also. There's been a big
> discussion about that last year(?), IIRC.
>
> Ralph

Yeah, but my vote to do it this way has become wrong. And it was
originally set this way nearly two years ago.. after a very lengthy
barrage of discussion. In the meantime, much has grown within the CentOS
community. There are now at least two more distros for different systems
along with 4.X being added... So that gives us 2.X, 3.X and 4.X in the
4? various flavors. This can occasionally be 12 announcements for one
update... when 5 hits, 16. If I had my vote to do over, I'd vote for an
announce list for each distro and each system. And to rehash yet again
another thing... the subject line is so long that I need to expand by
mailreader to 1250 or so wide before I can read what the announcement
actually regards as in system and CentOS version....

I'd vote for pure announce lists at this point... but, I'm so totally in
awe of all the work the CentOS team does which is of such huge benefit
to me, that I really hate to even say anything about this... But it is
time for me to start doing some filtering. Arghhh!

And I promise to not say anything again, at least until 6 comes out. ;)

Best,
John Hinton