[CentOS] Lingering dhclient issue

Justin Randall jrandall at comwave.net
Thu Sep 14 00:41:53 UTC 2006

>Yes, it would.  My question was what is the recommended process to
>switch an interface from DHCP to STATIC so that the dhclient process
>automatically gets killed.  Doing an "ifdown eth0", editing the
>configuration file, and then doing an "ifup eth0" left this lingering
>dhclient process around.

If you're looking for a one command solution after making the required configuration changes, using the "service network restart" is likely your best bet.  If you don't want to restart the entire network (which can cause service interuption depending on what is being serviced over the network), simply carrying out the steps you originally outlined while killing the dhclient process acting on the interface is probably the best approach since there is no association between ifconfig and dhclient.

Regards,

Justin.