[CentOS] backup server..

Sebastien Tremblay sebastien.tremblay at au.cmpmedica.com
Thu Sep 14 07:14:05 UTC 2006

> * In regards to nightly incremental backups, we simply use the
> rsync utility to pull the backups from a server onto the backup
> host also running linux

You're actually not the first to mention rsync, I'll man rsync and see
what I can get!

> I would highly advise simply paying the money for a RAID
> Controller card to handle all of this for you. You mentioned
> that you do not have physical access to the server, so the
> Raid card can easily handle hdd failures and send you an email
> letting you know that you need to replace the other drive.

That's actually a very good point. The only thing is that the machine
doesn't generate any revenue and so it'll heavlily depend on the price
of the RAID controler really... I know there is none at the moment which
is why I was looking into dd and tar. I've read that dd physically
read/write every blocks of the disk whereas tar handles `zero-files`
differently... Thus my question!

> Never a good idea to run X when you dont need to. All
> Administration can be done via config files on the command-line
> and any system-config gui programs usually have a commandline
> replacement anyway. But if you really wanted X check out
> 'yum grouplist' and 'yum groupinstall "X Window System"'

Good point, and I'm fully aware that one of the reasons win2k3 requires
so much ram is the bloody UI! But I figured that with 2 ghz... I might
give it a try! My concern tho' is really about configuring X... I've
installed Centos on a test server here, and the X config is based on the
server video/audio cards + monitor... What happens there there are
none!!? :P

Thx for your time... You made me realise that even RAID1 could be
usefull (don't know why, I was under the impression that with only two
disks raid wasn't worth it...!?

Cheers Brad!

Seb.

This message and any attachments are confidential and are solely intended for the use of the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient please contact the sender by reply email. Please also disregard the contents of this email and delete and destroy any copies immediately. CMPMedica Australia Pty Ltd does not accept liability for the views expressed in this email or for the consequences of any computer viruses that may be transmitted with this email. Also subject to copyright, no part of this message should be reproduced or transmitted without written consent.