[CentOS] backup server..

William Warren hescominsoon at emmanuelcomputerconsulting.com
Thu Sep 14 11:37:05 UTC 2006

I currently use openvpn with ipcop based firewalls as the server and
openvpn windows clients.  It works perfectly.

Sebastien Tremblay wrote:
>> but it's possible, and you can run a secure connexion from
>> elsewhere, either using a VPN (I use and recommend
>> openvpn), or tunnelling VNC through ssh.
>
>> Here's an example of what I do to configure routers &
>> printers remotely, using their web interfaces. I'm using
>> this coz I think the port numbers are more obvious:-)
>
>> In a terminal window (eg Konsole)
>> ssh -L8080:192.168.2.254:80 sysadmin.office.lan
>
>> Then I point Mozilla or something at
>> http://127.0.0.1:8080/
>
>> Moz connects to port 8080 locally, ssh forwards the
>> connexion to an (mine) admin computer at work & ssh there
>> forwards it to the gateway box. Rather than going through
>> my VPN, I could use the external name for my office as ssh
>> still connects through to my desktop.
>
>> vnc, smtp and many other TCP protocols can be forwarded.
>
> Hey John, that's a very interesting point you're raising. However how
> 'compatible' is openvpn with an M$ network? I mean is it a seemless
> integration or are there flaws? Having a quite Microsoft oriented
> network the idea sure would help in integrating new non-Ms servers to
> the network...
>
> Thanks for your input!
>
> Seb.

> This message and any attachments are confidential and are solely intended for the use of the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient please contact the sender by reply email. Please also disregard the contents of this email and delete and destroy any copies immediately. CMPMedica Australia Pty Ltd does not accept liability for the views expressed in this email or for the consequences of any computer viruses that may be transmitted with this email. Also subject to copyright, no part of this message should be reproduced or transmitted without written consent.

My "Foundation" verse:
Isa 54:17  No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and
every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt
condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and their
righteousness is of me, saith the LORD.

-- carpe ductum -- "Grab the tape"
CDTT (Certified Duct Tape Technician)

Linux user #322099